This homemade bread recipe makes 6-8 loaves of bread. It’s a lot of dough, so it’s much easier to mix this using a standing mixer. If you don’t want to make that much bread, you can definitely change the ratios to make a single loaf or two. And if you don’t want every loaf to have a cinnamon swirl? That’s totally a valid option. Just skip the appropriate steps.
- 6 cups of warm water
- 2 tablespoons of sea salt (or tablespoons Kosher salt)
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons dough enhancer (optional)
- 2 cups high gluten bread flour OR 2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (optional)
- 3-4 cups of fresh ground flour to start
- 3 tablespoons instant yeast
- 6-9 additional cups of fresh flour
- Mix ingredients in order from water to yeast in a standing mixer.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to let the yeast activate.
- Add the remainder of the flour, 1-2 cups at a time, while mixing the dough.
- Knead the bread for 4-5 minutes with the dough hook.
- Remove the bowl from the stand and cover. Let the dough rise until doubled in volume, which should take about 45 minutes.
- Divide the dough into equal-sized loaves.
- Roll the dough out into an even, flat-ish rectangle.
- Spread a small amount of butter onto the dough, then sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar.
- Roll the loaf up and seal the ends.
- Place it in the loaf pan.
- Cover the loaf pans and let them rise for about 30 minutes.
- Bake the bread at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes until done.
- Once done, remove the pan from the oven and let it cool on a countertop for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pans and cool them on a wire rack.
- Store in a bread bag or freeze in an airtight container.